For
direct booking 5 % discount
  • Book at the best price
  • No waiting - instant confirmation

Castle Schachen

The King's House, built from plans by Georg Dollmann in 1869 to 1872 on the Schachen Alp near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, was King Ludwig II's mountain refuge. The wooden post-and-infill structure in the form of a Swiss chalet has five living rooms downstairs with cembra wood panelling and a mixture of stylistic elements.

The whole of the upper floor, however, is taken up by the "Turkish Hall".

With its coloured glass windows, opulently embroidered textiles, peacock feathers and candelabra it reflects the fascination of the king and his contemporaries with the Orient.